Saturday, August 22, 2009

the interview

I went out and bought 54 dollar slacks, 39 dollar shoes, 92 bucks total.
I was ready the 7:30 am shove of my girlfriend awoke me.
I reluctantly rolled out of bed if only she forewarned me of the day.
I put on my day old slacks, and new shoes I was on my second interview
for the latitude Group, they wanted me to see what they do, when I finally
got my tie on straight, nervous- gut wrench feeling in the belly, I made my way to my car.
when I got to 5901 christi ave. in emeryville; went up the elevator to the fourth
floor, made a right went up a flight of stairs and hooked another right: Suite 500.
I walked through the doors there was a big 50 inch flat screen playing shawshank redemption...I thought this isn't good the possibility of the deeply moving innocence of jail time being displayed as justice...in a marketing firm?
this interview was to show me the direct sales appoach to marketing and the foot work of the entry level position of sales. I knew the common sale-pitch, but this was the show. we ended up going to some girls car and heading to San Mateo. My shoes were so uncomfortable. My shirt didn't fit.The day before, my girlfriend and I, went into SF around powell and mission, or was it market st, by union square? My girl bought the slacks. I sat there and worked on the crowd all these young college girls discussing earrings. The trip was made for the reason of going to the asian art museum for the Butanese thangkas this was on our way home, that we made this stop and purchased the slacks. Monday morning
the dull boring start of my second interview. We're in this girl's car and it starts to rain...great footwork...direct sales...in the rain.
by the time we reached the mall parking lot I knew I spent more to go to this job than what the job required. By this time she tells me what they do-I'm not pleased.
"when we get there some people might tell you to leave their stores or say you can't solicit, we just don't let it get us down we just move on." she smiles
" I'm gonna be asking you questions about your day and what you think about the job."
before this leaves her lips
she's on to the next babbling sentence then on to the first
customer (pet smart shop) a pet trainer
"hi can I ask you a ?, nothing crazy I was wondering if you or someone you know likes
to have fun, right? well, I'm w/ city lights crusies and we're celebrating a huge
expansion and we're inviting all our friends to come
and
join us."

No comments: